26 October 2012

Bird on a wire

The latest instalment in my Highbury kaka-spotting comes from Labour Day last week, when I snapped an inquisitive fellow posing atop the washing line upstairs at dusk, hoping for a treat. As you can see, he has plenty of parrot bling, with multiple identification bands around his ankles. (Do parrots have ankles?) He's also sporting a fine flush of red feathers to impress the lady kakas; that's apparently how you tell kakas apart from keas - the former has red feathers, the latter green, and keas are larger.




See also:
Photos: Kaka country, 4 October 2012
Photos: Kaka acrobatics, 17 December 2011

2 comments:

JO said...

These are fab - I've some great pics of a kea trying to get into my rucksack and steal my sandwich (I rescued the sandwich in time!)

Slightly Intrepid said...

Yes, the keas are expert bag infiltrators.